ARE FIRECRACKERS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE POLLUTION IN DELHI-NCR?
Pollution in Delhi- NCR has been increasing daily. The technological advancements and speedy development has come to a great environmental cost. The air of this region has crossed all the limits for safe and pure air and has reached unexpected levels of impurity. The condition is worsened to a level that it has become impossible for the residents to travel without face masks. Supreme Court has banned the firecrackers in the area since last two years so that it could not worsen the already prevailing conditions. But is banning the firecrackers the only way to control pollution? Are firecrackers solely responsible for the pollution in Delhi- NCR?
There are other reasons too for this uncontrollable pollution as:
- The continuous growing population and the pressure is deteriorating the environment.
- There has been unplanned development of industries and factories. Studies have revealed that only about 20% of the industries are set up in the approved areas, rest all are set up in residential areas.
- There has been a significant increase in the number of vehicles on the roads which is again a large reason for pollution.
- There has been no proper technology or methods to treat solid, liquid, waste water, industrial and hospital wastes in the region.
- There has been an improper use of energy in buildings.
POLLUTION IN DELHI: FACTS AND FIGURES
- According to the Ambient Air Pollution report for the year 2014, Delhi had PM 2.5 pollution levels, which is the highest in the world after Beijing which is a serious matter of concern.
- According to the WHO, air pollution is the fifth largest killer in India.
- Carbon monoxide levels is around 6,000 microgram/cubic metre which is much above the safe level. Nitrogen dioxide levels are also increasing.
- Delhi’s AQI (Air Quality Index) is rated as poor as compared to other cities.
The pollution has increased effectively and the government has also taken some steps to reduce the pollution levels and it is the responsibility of the citizens to solely abide by the rules otherwise the conditions will be even worse.