The 21st edition of the FIFA World cup is running in full throttle. This is the tournament for which we have waited 4 years! Excited, right? To boost your excitement further, we bring you some interesting facts about FIFA that will blow your mind:
1. The official match ball of the tournament
The Telstar 18 comes from our neighboring country, Pakistan. Its design is inspired by NASA.
2. Most expensive world cups:
- The 2014 World Cup in Brazil is the most expensive FIFA World Cup tournament by far. Brazil spent a total of $14.5 billion dollars to host the tournament.
- The current 2018 World Cup hosted by Russia stands in 2nd place with Russia spending nearly $12 billion dollars.
- 2006 World Cup by Germany – $6 billion
- 2002 World Cup by Japan/South Korea – $5 billion
- 2010 World Cup by South Africa - $4 billion
3. Most valuable
⇒ Teams in FIFA 2018 World Cup
♦ France - $1.25 billion dollars
♦ Spain - $1.19 billion dollars
♦ Brazil - $1.14 billion dollars
♦ Germany - $1.02 billion dollars
⇒ Players in FIFA 2018 World Cup
◊ Neymar (Brazil) - $212.1 million
◊ Lionel Messi (Argentina) - $212.1 million
◊ Mohamed Salah (Egypt) - $177 million
◊ Harry Kane (England) - $ 176.7 million
◊ Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium) - $176.7 million
◊ Kylian Mbappe (France) - $141.1 million
◊ Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) - $117.8 million
4. The Luzhniki Stadium, Muscow
The Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow hosted the kick-off match on June 14, 2018, and will host the finals on July 15, 2018.
5. The World Cup Logo
- The logo of the world cup 2018 was disclosed on October 28, 2014, in space by Cosmonauts at the International Space Station.
- The theme of the world cup is a dream and space outer space exploration.
The 2018 World cup mascot is a wolf named Zabivaka, selected through online voting. Zabivaka was designed by a Siberian graphic designer, Ekaterina Bocharova.
6. World cup of surprises:
- This will be the first world cup since 1958, of which the 2nd highest world cup winners, Italy is not a part of.
- Panama and Iceland are the new teams that made their debut in this world cup.
- Egypt participated in the world cup after 28 years. (Their world cup dream was crushed in just 6 days as Egypt failed to qualify in the further stages.)
- According to the football experts, this world cup is highly unpredictable as the giants like Brazil, Germany, Argentina, and others have not been able to live up to the expectations. This is a world cup of Dark horses.
⊗ Fastest goal in world cup:
In 2002, Turkey’s Hakan Sukur scored a goal in just 11 seconds which is by far the fastest goal in the history of world cup. His goal helped Turkey finish 3rd in the 2002 World Cup.
⊗ Fastest Red Card:
The Uruguayan defender Jose Batista was sent off in just 52 seconds, the fastest red card in the World Cup History.
⊗ Top goal scorer
- Miroslav Klose, Germany's ex-striker is the top goal scorer in the world cup history with 16 goals under his name in 4 consecutive world cups since 2002-2014, having played 24 matches.
- Brazil's Ronaldo stands second with 15 goals in 19 matches.
⊗ Highest goals in a tournament
The French striker, Just Fontaine holds the record for most number of goals in a single tournament.
He scored 13 goals in just 6 games.
⊗ Highest number of World Cups
- Brazil is the most successful team in the world cup history having won the world cup 5 times.
- Germany and Italy stand in the second place with 4 World Cup titles.
⊗ Highest number of World cup for Individual
Pele is the only player to have won 3 FIFA World Cups - 1958, 1962 and 1970.
Only 3 weeks are remaining until the world gets its new champion. Will Germany be able to retain their Cup or will Brazil with their 6th World Cup? Or Will it be a face-off between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi? or Will a new champion arise from the dark horses? Nothing can be said until the very last moment in this beautiful game!
This is the Article 3 of the FIFA Series.